Hotels and Restaurants PR
- Let’s try to study this specialized field of PR by taking a glimpse
of a PR practitioner’s experiences. Well, let me come up with a brief introduction:
CHARISSE GARCIA CHUIDIAN
- Holds a Bachelor of Arts Degree in Communication Arts from
Maryknoll College (Now Miriam College)
- She started her career at ABS-CBN but she had much longer
stint at the Public Relations Department of Ayala Corporation.
- She also holds a subsequent post as Special Service Director
of Communication Foundation of Asia
- The lady is the concurrent PR Manager of Century Park Sheraton
Hotel, a position which she can hold without question considering her qualifications as a specialist in Corporate as well
as Hotel and Restaurants PR
- As a practitioner, she considers membership in professional
organizations a must that’s why; she is considered a part of the Philippine Association of PR Counselors
Ok, you’ve heard a LOT about her! Now, let’s find out what she will have to say that can
put you to the WINNING END!
1. Where is PR normally to in the organizational structure of Hotels and Restaurants? Why?
“In an organizational structure of most hotels and restaurants,
public relations are under Sales and Marketing. This is due to the promotional
and marketing functions also exercised b PR Manager, who is also directly under the General Manager. With the PR Manager at the helm, the set-up in better coordination and integration of the functional, advertising
and marketing activities of the hotel.”
TOUGH HUH! The principles that we have learned in class, if you still
remember talks about IMC – Integrated Marketing Communications. So this
is what they would usually have in Hotels & Restaurants.
2. Can we say that Hotels and Restaurant Managements utilized Marketing PR in their operations? How and up to what extent?
“In general, PR Managers in Hotels and
Restaurants are usually charged with such Marketing functions. As advertising,
direct marketing, production of various corporate and marketing collaterals.
It, I mean the function, may also include maintenance of the mail list, liaison with partners and sponsors for the
hotels promotional marketing projects.
am in charge with ensuring that the image projected by the collaterals and undertakings depict that of the establishment.
The Hotel PR Manager’s utilization of media therefore consists of the ff:
Editorial contents or matters exposure in TV Programs for promotional purposes generally through magazine talk shows. In this instance, media exposure is compensated partly in kind, through the use and
availment of the hotel and restaurant’s facilities.
3. To what extent should managements of hotels and restaurants give PR executives to directly assist in decision-making?
The PR Manager should be given the autonomy to plan and implement her department’s organizations, in conjunction
with the hotel’s corporate and marketing strategies.
She has to administer the pre-approved budget and choice of local media used in Advertising should largely be upon
her discretion, as she does when dealing with media editors and journalists.
4. What are the reasons for the continuing increase
today in the number of female PR practitioners in hotels & restaurants?
The high visibility of hotels and restaurants- accounts for the increase in the number of PR practitioners in these
The industry is perceived as glamorous and high profile and most establishments moreover, usually prefer to have female